Friday, August 21, 2009

District 9 Review

Yo, cuz. I'm just getting back from seeing District 9 and... I thought it was one of the summer's best movies. This graphic, dark scifi/thriller had me on the edge of my seat with my eyes glued to the screen like no other movie this summer- make that this year.

The writing and directing involved in this film is phenomenal. Director Peter Jackson and co-writer Neill Blomkamp did a great job of adding so much depth to a movie about
aliens.

Who knew that a movie about extraterrestrials who come to Earth could have so many realistic undertones? The way they were forced into slums and ghettos and treated like outlaws greatly resembles how actual human beings have been treated in real life (ie. slavery and the Halocaust).
This movie really sets itself apart from other science fiction films.

District 9 also proves that you can rely heavily on CGI and not have the movie look cheap and cartoonish, something that GI Joe failed to do. After seeing this film, my faith in CGI that GI Joe destroyed is now restored. A huge ship floated over South Africa for the entire movie and it was extremely believable.

Another thing that I really liked about this film was the action. The Cloverfield- style camera work, actual news footage and exploding bodies make this an overall enjoyable movie- going experience.

Sharlto Copley was great as Wikus van der Merwe. He reminded me of a dramatic, more serious version of Steve Carrell and he portrays his metamorphosis really well as he makes you feel his pain and anguish.

They've announced that they will be making a District 9 sequel and I for one am completely for it. I would love to see more of the District 9 universe. If you haven't seen this film yet, definitely peep it. That's about it but stay up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails