Monday, August 24, 2009

Late Review: Bronson

Yo, cuz. I just saw Nicolas Winding Refn's Bronson and... I thought it was really good. I anticipated that this film would be great and it didn't disappoint so it deserves a Late Review.

Bronson centers around Britain's most violent prisoner, Michael Peterson aka Charles Bronson, who turns a small 7 year prison sentence into a pending life sentence due to his urge to commit violent crimes out of boredom.
This movie was extremely entertaining. Not once was I bored or waiting for it to end. In fact, I think the one and a half hour run time was not enough to fully capture this man's story. Director Nicholas Winding Refn turned something as unsettling as a prison crime into an eye catching art form with clever musical scores and excellent camera work.

Tom Hardy's performance as Charles Bronson was phenomenal. This movie was practically a one man show and he did an amazing job of controlling the film. He really captured the demented and violent nature of Bronson while being pretty funny in the process. I actually accepted this insane prisoner as the protagonist and sympathized with him. Hardy brought out a perfect balance between Bronson's sensitivity, intelligence and his villainy to the point where I was actually rooting for this muscle-bound psychopath. It was just an overall great
performance and one of the best I've seen.

The disturbing violence was another thing that made this movie great. Every fight scene had me glued to the screen. This film was just very fascinating and entertaining. The only thing that really bothered me was the fact that the trailer shows you too much. The pay offs weren't as powerful after watching the trailer so if you haven't already, don't watch the trailer before watching the movie. But you should definitely peep the movie. Its better than most American films and its one of the best films this year. I recommend you watch it as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails